Disney FROZEN Cupcakes! - Super Easy Vanilla Cupcake with Buttercream Frosting!

9:30 PM


Hey Guys!! 

So my friend Sirin's daughter, Maia just had her birthday and she is absolutely OBSESSED with the new Disney movie, Frozen! 
All I hear her talk about is.... 
"Frozen this...Frozen that....
Can you do my hair like Elsa?  
Do you want to watch Frozen with me? 
Do you want to build a snowman?" 

Geez! 

Talk about excitement! haha. I had to watch the movie myself to find out what all the excitement was. 
I do have to admit. I cried like a baby. Don't judge me. So hey.... I thought it was a perfect opportunity to surprise Maia and make her these Frozen themed cupcakes. I figured I'd record the process while doing so. I hope you guys like it. If you have been a follower of mine, then you might have already seen my 3 tier cake that I made her for her past birthday. If you missed it, then you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zq6C0SRyDQ 


As far as for the cupcakes goes.....can we just take a moment and just talk about how excited I am to share this with you. I've made so many different versions of Vanilla Cupcakes out there...but I must admit. This is my all time favorite. I had to do some tweaking to find what worked best for me by making some adjustments, but I think i finally got it! The sour cream works wonders and it really does help make the cupcake super moist and fluffy. I find that it's important to have an oven thermometer to make sure your oven reads the correct temperature...since it can really make or break your recipe. Also, the trick to a perfect cupcake is...after you finish baking your cupcakes...you don't want to leave it in the muffin pan to cool because it can continue to bake and become dry. So once they finish baking,  immediately take them out of the pan and let them cool on a wire rack. The easiest way to take them out of the muffin pan when they are still hot is I drape a kitchen towel over the cupcakes....and flip the entire pan upside down allowing the cupcakes to gently fall into the towel. While they are upside down, I just transfer them to a wire rack. Don't worry about any indentations, because if  you baked this right, the cupcake should spring back to form. 

As far as the frosting goes... I hate it when the frosting is just too darn sweet that it just overpowers the entire flavor of the cupcake. The frosting is suppose to compliment the cupcake, not overpower it.  For this reason exactly is why I add just a pinch of salt to the frosting. It's not entirely noticeable that it tastes "salty". It just helps to tone down the sweetness and give it a balance. If you on the other hand, loves the sweetness, by all means, leave the salt out. 


Ok, on with the recipe...

Vanilla Cupcake with Buttercream Frosting
(12-14 cupcakes)

Vanilla Cupcake Ingredients

1/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons of vanilla extract (use the real vanilla, the the imitation)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/3 cup of sour cream
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup whole milk. 


Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit
2. Beat the butter and sugar till crumbly. 
3. Add the vanilla, oil, eggs and sour cream till combined.
4. Slowly sift in all purpose flour, add salt, baking soda and baking powder. 
5. Mix with a spatula while slowly stirring in the milk. 
6. After incorporated, you can mix it with your hand mixer till smooth. 
7. If you prefer the classic white vanilla cake, then skip to steps 8-9 and transfer to a cupcake lined muffin pan, proceed to step 10.
8. Evenly divide the batter in 3 separate bowls and tint each bowl a different shade of blue. 
9. Take a spoon, and scoop 2 spoons of batter into cupcake lined muffin pan, starting with the darkest color first....then repeating the same steps for the medium blue, layering it over the darkest color.....then layering the lightest color on top. 
10. Bake for 15 min, 350 degrees
11. Remove immediately from the muffin pan once baked to prevent over baking and let them cool on a wire rack. 


Buttercream Frosting Ingredients


1/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup crisco (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
1/4 cup whole milk
Pinch of salt

Instructions

1. Blend the butter and crisco
2. Mix in vanilla
3. Slowly mix in sugar, salt and milk 
4. Texture should be thick and should hang on to the spatula
5. Start piping!!!

Note: If you are in a warmer area and find that your frosting is still a bit soft, easy trick to fix this is to let it sit in your refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to allow the butter and crisco to solidify a bit to make it easy to work with. 





List of items I'm using in the video:  



Elsa Miniature Frozen Doll




Camera that I am using

You Might Also Like

2 comments

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin